tiistai 3. helmikuuta 2009

Once upon a time...

...I felt like taking yet another self-portrait!

This was for a photography assignment at Helsingin Työväenopisto, 2005.

I love photographing people and the easiest target is oneself. I think self-portraiture is a great way of getting to know yourself, trying out different roles and creating moments that never really existed. That's a big part of photography's fascination for me - you can build a moment and make it last forever - even though the moment never really existed except inside one's imagination. You can make a dreamy vision come true by framing, cropping, lighting, wardrobe and make-up. And of course in some cases by Photoshopping.

I think you can get a good shot of anyone if you just can take many many photos of them. I don't believe people when they say "I never look good in pictures". I just think they haven't been photographed with enough devotion or the right gear. I always used to feel like this until I received a digital camera in 2003. With a digital gadget I could take hundreds and hundreds of photos and see which facial impression worked and which didn't without spoiling precious film. I could suddenly take pictures without a flash, with a flash, with any lighting I preferred and which ever angle I preferred.

I strongly recommend self-portraiture for every photographer starting out. It will give you insight of yourself and most importantly what it feels like to be photographed. I have learned so much through self-portraits and it has helped me tremendously when shooting other people - now I know better how to guide them to get the best picture possible.

1 kommentti:

  1. Please make more photographs.
    It looks forward to your wonderful photograph collection.

    VastaaPoista